Having fiberglass tub in your bathroom means you need to take care of it whenever you might get some damages on it. Fiberglass tub repair that you will do when you find such damage on the tub will need a bit skillful person to do it since it will not be that easy work to do. There are several things needed that will not just sit around the house. You need to prepare several things needed when you plan to have this work yourself since it is usually done by a professional for the best result.
Further we will have several things to prepare before we go for fiberglass tub repair. The preparation step will include the step to check whether you are sure that you have a fiberglass tub. See further detail on the next section.
Preparing Step for Fiberglass Tub Repair and Step to Repair
All in all, to check whether your bath tub come from fiberglass material is the first step that you need to do. After you are sure that it is fiberglass tub, you may proceed to the next step of fiberglass tub repair. There will be several things that you need to prepare. Make sure that you get the items in the following list: polyester resin, hardener, fiberglass mesh or mat, colorant, sandpaper in assorted grits (80 grit to 400 or 440 grit), thickener, protective gloves resistant the chemicals, and a mixing container and stirring tools. Now you can proceed to steps to repair.
- Before you add any mixed material to the area for fiberglass tub repair, you need to clean it up from any wax, oil, soap scum, or other contaminant on the surface of the fiberglass tub using sandpaper. You might also need acetone to make it even clean and ready for the next step. If the area to repair more than one fourth of an inch you might consider to bring fiberglass cloth, if it is not then you don’t need it..
- You can prepare for the material that will be needed to repair the fiberglass. Read the instruction thoroughly as you want your work result excellent.
- Prepare for the polyester resin for the next step of fiberglass tub repair work. You can follow the instruction to get the right proportion of mixing it with hardener.
- Prepare the colorant that you will add into the thickening material. Mix it until you get the consistency you want to patch the area that need to be repaired. You need to add hardener by following the instruction of the kit. Then, you can mix all the repair material.
- Now you can apply the repair material using a putty knife. Let it dry for about 2 hours and sand it. You will need to add another material from resin and colorant on the first patch without thickening agent.
- Wait it to dry. After that, you can buff the finished repair. Wipe it with damp cloth to clean the material left by repairing work.